Friday, May 19, 2017

Salmo Pond and Bigger Brushes

We got a bit of sunshine later yesterday so I decided to check out Salmo Pond which is our next painting site.  It's really a great little place with lots of choices for compositions without having to walk too far from the parking lot.   Many views of the pond are good and Black Earth Creek runs along side it. The only downside is the noise of the traffic at rush hour but with my earphones and the radio on even that was not too bad.  Minus the traffic sounds the air is filled with birdsong.  I do think the earphones also prevented me being interrupted by onlookers although there were only a few people there.  I took Jan Norsetter's advice and used bigger brushes (1/2 & 3/4 inch) for this 8 x 10 oil and it helped me from getting too bogged down in detail.  I gave myself 75 min and stopped when my time was up which also helped me avoid fussing as much as I tend to do.   I painted on a grey Richeson board that I think I got for free somewhere and it had a decent surface but I like those oil primed linen Centurion panels better.  Looking forward to going back with DCPAPA on Thursday.
Black Earth Creek looking south

5 comments:

  1. Lovely, Tom! Looks fresh and spontaneous! Keep the big brushes (and the small ones too, for the sake of variety :-))).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I painted this but I am sure Tom would have done it better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, I don't know what I was thinking, but I meant YOU! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat! Great little painting. Love the water especially!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the movement in this painting Pat.

    ReplyDelete