Thursday, October 15, 2020

Lodi Ice Age Trail

Here's my painting from last week's outing. I'm actually posting both the painting as it was as I left the field, and the painting as I later fixed it up. Not even sure which one I like better. I messed up scheduling the next outing. I had thought this week's weather would be bad but it didn't turn out to be that bad. And there was previously a better forecast for next week, but they changed that, it now next week looks bad. So not sure when we'll get the next outing in. But I'll keep watching the weather. 

I'm updating this post with a third version since I repainted this again in my studio and want to see them side by side.

 Tom

3 comments:

  1. I like them both but I do like the less defined trees in the background and the warmer colors of the first one. That seems closer in my memory to the way the light looked as we were packing up. But I also like the distant hill in the 2nd one a lot. Maybe some time just keep the good start and do a larger studio painting from it? Hindsight!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom,
    Okay if I had to choose, I like the top one better, But I like the aspen trees to the right in the lower one. Good work on both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I think the trick is to follow up in the studio without losing the freshness and spontaneity that a plein air piece typically has.

    ReplyDelete