Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Stages of Painting

Decided to photograph the progress of this painting.  It's a view of the Mississippi River from Dubuque.  I did this this in three sessions: the underpainting / sketch, then the first pass of painting (I could have left it at this stage except for the very rough foreground), and then the final painting.  In the final step I decided I needed to punch up the contrast but in comparing it to step two I think I lost some of the mood and atmosphere that inspired me to paint this scene in the first place.  I never really know where my paintings are going to end up and it's interesting to see the progression.  I just wish I could go back a step when I overwork a painting.

Tom




2 comments:

  1. The bottom half rocks Tom.! Love the sparkly water and the tree values along it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really useful way of looking back and seeing where one was going during the painting of the picture. Could be useful to help me see where I went wrong or overpainted.

    ReplyDelete