Monday, January 8, 2018

Random colors

Here's something that I have been trying to get more familiar with all of my paints (40 of them!) and to learn what colors work together. I randomly select 4-6 pigments (with a random number generator) and then only use those colors. I typically do this with smaller images. I allow myself to add a primary if I say don't have any blues and the painting will not work without it. (But randomly pulling a blue) 
5 x 6.5 study. Watercolor on paper. using new gamboge, Quin Scarlet, Sap green, Mars yellow, Ultramarine

2 comments:

  1. Nice study! Love the idea of choosing the colors randomly. I have my watercolor paints in bins arranged by color family. I'll close my eyes and grab one out of red, yellow and blue and see what happens. Lately I've been re-reading Making Color Sing by Jeanne Dobie. A really helpful book for watercolorists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These six work pretty darn nice together. :)

    ReplyDelete