Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year!!


Happy New Year to DCPAPA members!!  Hope you are all staying warm and painting in your studios (except the intrepid Jan Norsetter who is probably out there right now but she is made of sterner stuff than me!)

This is a watercolor monotype based on a photo a friend took last Christmas in Lutsen, Mn.  I learned this technique at the Clearing in Door Co. this fall and have been playing around with it in the studio.  I like it because it is still involves painting but you get effects that you could not get with just painting with watercolors.  I've also printed some based on black and white sketches so that my memory has to work harder to come up with the colors and mood.  It's really fun to pull back the print and see what happened.  The paper is still wet so you can make little adjustments with a brush before you let it dry.  I've tried a few different papers and I like Strathmore Aquarius II.  It dries flat and is a nice bright white.
11x14 watercolor monotype-Lake Superior, Lutsen, Mn.

No comments:

Post a Comment