Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Indian Lake - Evening Plein Air Painting - this Thursday July 11th 4:30pm

We will paint on Thursday evening this week with hopefully much better weather than last weekend.  Looks like the last relatively cool day for awhile, too.  Sunsets will probably be hazy and maybe colorful due to the wildfires up north in Canada.  My sketchbook painting was a quickie watercolor done at sunset last year when we painted there on May 29th.  The other sketch  was from March 11, 2018 when there was still snow on the ground.  It's my favorite sketch of the lake.  I sat next to my car in the parking lot .  I remember how great it felt to be out there painting again with a hint of spring in the air.  I think painting or even doing just a quick sketch can preserve memories so much better than a photo ever does.  I really like the softcover Stillman & Birn sketchbooks.  They lay nice and flat.  These both have cold press watercolor paper; the Alpha is 90 lb and the Beta is 140 lb.   The 90 lb paper holds up really well with wet media and either ink or graphite.  They also make great hardcover sketchbooks that lat flat pretty well but not in the 8 x 10 size which I really like.  The company also makes sketchbooks with really nice smooth paper more like hot press watercolor paper and has choices of bright white, ivory and also tan or grey.  They are some of my favorite sketchbooks.  (Obviously, I am kind of a sketchbook junkie!)  See you Thursday!  Pat

Watercolor in Stillman & Birn  8x10 Softcover Beta Sketchbook

Watercolor and Tombow markers in Stillman & Birn 8x10 Softcover Alpha Sketchbook

No comments:

Post a Comment