Tuesday, June 26, 2018

UW Union Outing

I almost didn't get there. Street construction blocked my path to the Lake Street parking garage and I had to wander around in rush hour traffic to find another entrance to the garage. I almost left but did finally find it.  Darya also managed to get there but no other painters and I'm wondering if others also couldn't find any parking. I'll think twice before scheduling another outing there.  It was also more crowded than I expected for a Monday evening but I did manage to find a somewhat out of the way spot to paint.  Struggled with painting a complex crowd scene. I have to think more about how to do that.  After the sun went down I tried out my new easel light and did a quick painting of some boats and the last of the light.

Tom





4 comments:

  1. Nice work. I like the sunset a lot. Glad the sun broke thru a bit. On weekdays I usually can find a spot in the Helen C. White lot right next to the Union Theatre but sometimes it is full. Sorry I could not get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, so glad you finished the sunset, it already looked good when I was leaving. Really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both paintings capture their time of day really well!
    After fighting traffic to get home I did not have the energy to fight traffic to come back into Madison. I should have planned ahead and taken my materials with me to work, but not much of the day went as planned. I'm glad at least two of you made it. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, the top painting is very pleasing. Nice composition - I especially like the sailboat on the right with the head on view - keeps the eye in the painting as well. Very nice colors on water and walkway, and with the silhouette of the people in front. The bottom painting is nice too, but I find the top one more interesting.

    ReplyDelete